ISO/TS 24534-5:2008 provides the requirements for an Electronic Registration Identification (ERI) using symmetric encryption techniques that are
- based on an identifier assigned to a vehicle (e.g. for recognition by national authorities),
- suitable to be used for:
- electronic identification of local and foreign vehicles by national authorities;
- vehicle manufacturing, in-life maintenance and end-of-life identification (vehicle life-cycle management);
- adaptation of vehicle data, e.g. in case of international re-sales;
- safety related purposes;
- crime reduction;
- commercial services, and
- adhering to privacy and data protection regulations.
It specifies the interfaces for a secure exchange of data between an electronic registration tag (ERT) and an ERI reader or ERI writer in or outside the vehicle using symmetric encryption techniques.
Symmetric encryption techniques are based on secret keys shared by a particular community of users, i.e. in closed user groups in which it is trusted that keys are not revealed to outsiders.
ISO/TS 24534-5:2008 specifies:
- the interface between an ERT and an onboard ERI reader or writer,
- the interface between the onboard ERI equipment and (road side) reading and writing equipment,
- security issues related to the communication with the ERT.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2008-02
Edition: 1Number of pages: 38
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 204 Intelligent transport systems