ISO 10993-1:2009 describes:
- the general principles governing the biological evaluation of medical devices within a risk management process;
- the general categorization of devices based on the nature and duration of their contact with the body;
- the evaluation of existing relevant data from all sources;
- the identification of gaps in the available data set on the basis of a risk analysis;
- the identification of additional data sets necessary to analyse the biological safety of the medical device;
- the assessment of the biological safety of the medical device.