This Recommendation | International Standard defines a Systems Management Function that may be used by an application process in a centralized or decentralized management environment to interact for the purpose of systems management, as defined by ITU-T Rec. X.200 | ISO/IEC 7498-1.
This Recommendation | International Standard defines a function which consists of generic definitions, services, and functional units. This function is positioned in the application layer of ITU-T Rec.X.200 | ISO/IEC 7498-1 and is defined according to the model provided by ISO 9545.
The role of systems management functions is described by CCITT Rec. X.701 | ISO /IEC 10040.
This Recommendation | International Standard:
– defines a service for the management of clocks for use by OSI management and available for use by OSI
applications and others;
– establishes user requirements for this Recommendation | International Standard;
– establishes a time management function model, addressing the components of a generic time service involving communication between systems, that relates the service and generic definitions provided by this function to the user requirements;
– defines generic object classes, attribute types, operation types, notification types, and parameters documented in accordance with CCITT Rec. X.722 | ISO/IEC 10165-4;
– specifies compliance requirements placed on other standards that make use of these generic definitions;
– defines the services provided by the function;
– specifies the management protocol that is necessary in order to provide the services;
– defines the relationship between these services and systems management operations and notifications;
– specifies the abstract syntax necessary to identify and negotiate the function unit in the protocol;
– defines relationships with other systems management functions;
– specifies conformance requirements to be met by implementation of this Recommendation | International Standard;
– identifies time synchronization protocols.
This Recommendation | International Standard does not:
– address the provision of time information within a local system;
– define the nature of any implementation intended to provide the Time Management Function;
– specify the manner in which management is accomplished by the user of the Time Management Function;
– define the nature of any interaction which results in the use of the Time Management Function;
– specify the services necessary for the establishment, use, and normal or abnormal release of a management association.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 1999-06
Edition: 1Number of pages: 81
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1 Information technology
- ICS :
- 35.100.70 Application layer
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
Buy this standard
|std 1 208|
|std 2 208||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Corrigenda / AmendmentsPublished
ISO/IEC 10164-20:1999/Cor 1:2002
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.